Renovate or knock down and rebuild? It is a sticking point familiar to many Canberra families as older homes in inner suburbs reach an age where an upgrade is in order. Why not weigh up your options with locally-owned Blackett Homes – a leader in knock-down and rebuild knowhow.
With 33 years’ experience in the Canberra residential building market, the award-winning team at Blackett Homes has a knack for knowing whether a knock-down rebuild project is going to work best for you, by discussing the possibilities and potential of your site.
“At Blackett Homes, we’re big enough to be cost-effective and small enough to treat you well as the customer – we don’t take a cookie-cutter approach,” said sales manager, Rick Meir. “Canberra is a unique market – and local knowledge of ACT building codes is very important.”
According to Rick, there are six main benefits of choosing to knock down and rebuild over going down the path of a renovation:
1. Seamless six-month process. In most cases, you will be handed the keys to your new Blackett home in six months – with every step from site assessment, planning and approval, to design, demolition and construction – all handled by the expert knock-down rebuild team.
2. More bang for your buck. Trying to retro-fit an older-style home can add up – things like electrical wiring, and heating and cooling can unexpectedly blow the renovation budget. You will also preserve the equity you have in your land.
3. Love your neighbours, for longer. We value the close-knit nature of our neighbourhoods in Canberra. Stay put for your sake, and the sake of your kids, who can stay at the same school.
4. Which way’s north? By building a new home, you can take advantage of your block’s orientation. It means your living and high-traffic areas, in particular, will be well-positioned to benefit from lots of natural light throughout the day.
5. Six-star energy rating. You can incorporate the latest technology in solar passive design, cross-ventilation, solar power and hot water, plumbing fixtures, energy-efficient appliances, and modern insulation and materials – and save money on your power bills!
6. Work with a blank canvas. Swap the clunky old bathroom with a swish new one, complete with a space-saving wall-mounted vanity and designer freestanding bath – the deeper and larger the better! Say hello to a slick new kitchen with quality fixtures, and energy-saving appliances.
For Rick, turning that blank canvas into a reality for Blackett Homes’ customers wouldn’t be possible without suppliers like Southern Innovations.
“Our customers can visit one of the Southern Innovations showrooms at Fyshwick or Mitchell and see, feel and touch the inclusions going into the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry of their new Blackett home – it’s a one-stop shop where the one-on-one service is second to none,” he said.
See, feel and touch leading brands – before you buy
Visit one of our showrooms in Canberra, Goulburn, Albury or Wagga Wagga to see, feel and touch the world’s leading kitchen, laundry and bathroom accessory and appliance brands. One of our specialist sales consultants will discuss the best options for your new home.